Ministry issues warning over viral video of fighting foreigners
April 22, Pozirk. The Belarusian interior ministry has issued a warning after a video of a brawl in Homiel went viral on social media.
“Spreading fake stories on the Internet, which create panic and incite ethnic hatred, is prosecuted by law!” the warning says. The ministry added that the fight involved two Moroccans.
The video gave rise to jokes, with some commenters noting that the fighters must be members of the first group of some 150,000 Pakistani workers that Alaksandar Łukašenka had promised earlier this month to bring to Belarus.
Shortly before the statement came out, a pro-government Telegram channel lashed out at “destructive forces” over these or similar comments.
The Belarusian ruler announced his intention to invite workers from Pakistan on April 11, when he met in Minsk with the Pakistani prime minister. The large number of views and comments posted under the video suggests that his announcement has sparked controversy.
The interior ministry denied speculations associating foreigners with crimes. “Despite a significant increase in the number of guests entering the country, we have not registered an increase in crime involving them.”
The law-enforcement agencies strictly control the entry, exit and stay of foreigners, it said. Measures as harsh as deportation “are applied to any violator of the law.”
The ministry said police had promptly arrived at the fight scene in Homiel, detained those involved and provided medical assistance. Police consider bringing two men to justice and expelling them from the country, it added.
Article 130 of the Belarusian Criminal Code carries a fine, or an arrest, or restriction of freedom for up to five years, or imprisonment for the same term for deliberate actions aimed at inciting racial, ethnic or religious hatred.
- Society
- Politics, Society
- PoliticsInstances of political persecution reported on August 21The material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsBelarus declares Polish Catholic website extremist contentThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- SocietyPolice hunting for gunman after jewelry store robbery in MinskThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- SocietyBelarus bracing for heat, windstorms on August 22The material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsMyanmar’s embassy opens in MinskThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics, SecuritySputnik deletes report claiming that KGB has been alerted to anti-Belarus plot in PolandThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- EconomyShare of unprofitable companies grows to 20 percent in five years, official statisticians sayThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics, SecurityKGB alerted to anti-Belarus plot in Poland, Russia's Sputnik claimsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsInterior ministry adds famous rock singer, environmentalists to its list of extremistsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Economy
- PoliticsKGB adds two to its list of terroristsThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Economy, Politics
- Politics, SecurityBelarus accredits Germany’s new military attachéThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics, Security
- PoliticsBelarus closes its embassy in Finland on September 1The material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsTrial, extremist designations reported in Belarus on August 19 and 20The material is available only to POZIRK+
- Politics, SecurityOpposition group names “Łukašenka spies” posing as diplomats in Asia, Africa and Latin AmericaThe material is available only to POZIRK+
- PoliticsŁukašenka appoints Communist leader as Council of Republic memberThe material is available only to POZIRK+



